Tuesday, August 4, 2009

EQ 6 Club

After a typical problem with my 15 year old, I sat down for the afternoon session of the Attic Window's Electric Quilt 6 Club. OMG, today was great. My fingers are itching to get to it. Some of the ladies are going to meet at 1pm on Thursday to review what we learned today.
As I mentioned before, this is not my first or second version of EQ. It is so exciting to see what I can do with the software, something I never explored in the past versions. Today we explored auto borders. Wow! This is so great, something I never would have thought to look for.

A friend sent a picture of an Irish Chain quilt she is making. Char has only been quilting for a little over 18 months but has already designed more quilts than I have dreamed of designing. With the photo of her quilt there was a word doc showing the quilt, colored with a pieced border. Granted, Char works with word and power point and knows how to use them better than I will ever be able to do, but to design a whole quilt on word - well, I wouldn't even attempt it. I am in awe of her creativity. And ladies, her hubby loves to give his opinion and he doesn't just say, "that's nice". They shop for fabric together and he really looks at a quilt and makes constructive suggestions, which work. Anyway, I am thinking this is the software for her.

Today I found out about a whole bunch of buttons I didn't know my software had. We transferred motifs to blocks and blocks to motifs. We merged blocks - so cool! Soon we will learn about custom settings.

I am really looking forward to doing the custom settings. I have a box of my daughter's old t-shirts that I want to put into a quilt. They are all different sizes, some have things on sleeves that I want to save, some are baby sized through early teens. Then there are the blocks made with my fabric by my guild members back in Germany (brown bag exchange). I have about 8 or 9 blocks, fabric to make more if needed. Or to use for the finishing of the quilt. I am ready to try out all the options on EQ to finish my blocks dating back to 2002 and 2003.

Isn't it great when you see a way to finish old UFOs? Or to clear off shelves in your closet? I get so many ideas running through my head. Just need to find a way to put them in effect. My thanks to Martha for showing us what the software can do. If you are like I was in the past, buying the EQ software and then not doing anything but playing with it, printing out single blocks, etc - please take the time to explore it. If you are local, check out the Attic Window's club. If not, go to your local shop, guild or friends and explore.

No comments:

Post a Comment