Tuesday, July 21, 2009

A Great Read

Quilting, reading and gardening are my three passions. Baking comes in there as well. Ask me to bring something for a pot luck and most often I will bring dessert. I felt I must share the latest book I am reading, Prayers for Sale, by Sandra Dallas. She's the lady that wrote the Persian Pickle Club in 1996 that many of you might remember. Sandra Dallas writes wonderfully and quite often quilting is part of the storyline.

It’s about an 86 year old lady, Hennie, and her neighbor, Nit, who is 17 and married and they live in a town called Middle Swan, Colorado. They are both quilters. The story takes place in 1936 and Nit is asking Hennie about a specific piece of fabric in one of her quilts and this is her reply:

“…Why, it’s from the Pinto store. I saw that material there fifty years ago, and I had to have a piece of it. I never saw anything that color outside of a book. It was dear-bought. I didn’t want anyone else to have it, so I took it all, the whole bolt, cost me five dollars. Then I was so ashamed of myself for being greedy that I gave pieces of it to one and all. You see a piece of that blue in a Middle Swan quilt, and you know it came from me. That blue’s been in every one of my quilts, too. Still I am mighty saving of it and don’t give that material to just anybody these days. She paused and added, hoping to let the girl know that she was esteemed by the old woman, But you might have a piece, if you like…”.

Isn’t that great? I thought you all might enjoy that…

I get all of my books from my public library. I also get books there for a friend that doesn't drive who reads large print and let me tell you large print is the way to go. It's so much easier on the eyes. I order everything on-line through the library, it's so easy. Did you know they even have quilting books? It's a great way to check them out to see if you really want to buy it.

It's going to be in the 100s today - a perfect day to read and to quilt!

3 comments:

  1. Just read your post on the Attic Window Quilt Shop in Michigan. What a great idea about us being sister shops. I'll mention that to the owner and see if she had any ideas what we might do together. Don't you just love Barb's twilling. Hers always looks so much better than mine. I did make a lap quilt out of the squares. Love it. The star block is called Shooting Stars and is an interesting to make block. Keep in touch. Caroll

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Kathryn, for the note about the books by Sandra Dallas....I have just finished the entire series of Elm Creek Creek Manor and I NEED something new to read....those were amazing so I'm hoping the find something as interesting and fun to read!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read the Persian Pickle Club, I loved it; Thank you so much. I'm heading to the Libray, well as soon as I log off And finish making couple quilt squares.

    ReplyDelete