Saturday, July 4, 2009






Take 5 on the 4th of July

It’s 99 degrees today, the 4th of July. It’s comfortable here in my air conditioned sewing room and I’ve been busy. Yesterday I put the blocks together for a Take '5' by "The Teacher’s Pet". What a terrific pattern! All of the pieces can be cut on the AccuCut (
www.accucut.com/), thank you Jan for cutting them for me on our AccuCut at the shoppe. I used the fabric line from Benartex An Apple a Day. I knew when we got the line it would be out the door in no time. We Wenatchee quilters love our apple fabric. I had the blocks all made in a couple of hours. Today I sewed the rows together and put on mitered borders – yep, I did miter borders and I got them all right the first time. I am getting much better. I use Quilt in a Day Christmas at Bear’s Paw Ranch, page 48, for my illustrated instructions on mitering. I know lots of books have these instructions, but this one sure does the trick for me.
The top picture is my version of My Secret Garden, from the book Gathered from the Garden by Cindy Lammon. What a great time the five of us had making this quilt (see Jan’s blog My Secret Garden dated July 1, 2009). I hope to get pictures of the other three when everyone has their quilt back from the quilter. My border fabric is from my stash. How exciting is that? Of course, I had to buy several additional fabrics to match, but that was half of the fun. Everyone’s quilt is truly a work of art and we plan on entering all of them into the NCW Quilt Guild (http://www.ncwquilt.org/) Quilt Show in October and we hope that we can get them all hung next to each other.
Happy 4th to everyone! It’s my husband and me tonight watching the Wenatchee fireworks from our patio with our two shelties. I am sure the kitty will be hiding in the guest bedroom. She doesn't like loud noises and new things. I bought us some sparklers to have fun with, too. Enjoy!

















2 comments:

  1. So, Kathryn, when are we swapping our quilts? I still like yours the best. Love your Take 5. I have 2 at home waiting for borders and no, I won't be mitering these. They are my get it done quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just found your blog. Love it. Take a look at mine. I'm the Attic Window Quilt Shop too. LOL

    ReplyDelete